Monday, August 14, 2006

Beethoven In Trance - Episode 13

Edger.

Another weekend spent on working around the house. Saturday morning playing with edger to trim the lawn, and cleaning the drive way with water and new outdoor broom from Rubbermaid in the afternoon. Washed the car, water the lawn. Pretty much the whole day spent outside of the house.

Sunday continue to water the lawn, took out the trash and piles of carton boards. Went to our favorite homegoods shop but didn't find anything (highlight of the day). My girl spent the whole Saturday vacuum the house from floor to walls. Cleaned and rehang the blinds... A productive weekend I will say. But then again, since we bought the house, every weekend is pretty productive.

Also organized the basement a little bit. Not complete clearing out the basement yet. Still mountains of stuff there waiting to be unpacked.

Can't believe we still haven't finished unpacking kitchen - the most important place in our house. Was talking with my girl over the weekend, we called our day as 'an unfinished dinner' (vs. a unfinished chest game, an old movie name). It seems we just keep cooking, eating, cleaning the whole day.

Watched the 24 season 5 at night. A great season. It's the best season since season 1, and 24 is the best TV series I have seen so far. I tried Alias, but sense it more gear towards younger audience. 24 strikes me as more realistic. When I was watching the world news this morning, I kept thinking about 24 as the news sounds too much like the plot in 24. Cant' wait for the season 6.

Put down couple mouse trap during the weekend. Hopefully catch the vole, we will see.

Called the flooring guy this morning (after leaving him a voice mail and email on Sunday). The floor finishing doesn't look the same in the two bedrooms as in the living room. It seems that they forgot to apply the Semi-Gloss finishing in the two bedrooms. According to the owner, the installer told him that he applied it in all area. Well, why don't you come over to look at it yourself. Tomorrow he will come over and we will see what happens. This is the first project in our first home, and it didn't go that well. Lesson learned. We have been cooperative, give them the key so that they can work on their own schedule, pay them promptly, and what we got is an uncompleted job. Is dealing with private contractor always bad or just to Chinese?

A dear friend of mine is applying a minister job. He has been out of that role for quite a while since last church he put together decided to dissemble. Life is not easy for him, working part time, talking care of two kids, and working aroud the house too. His wife works hard but has little pay. He tried couple churches for the minister position but the experience has been frustrating. I think myself a lucky person comparing to him. Hope he can reach the turning point very soon.

As for the new job, so far so good. It feels different here, much more alive. People are talking, laughing, chatting... completely the opposite to my previous department.

My young brother called me last Saturday. He came to US almost half year ago. He stays in San Fransisco now. It's a long story how he got here. According to my mum, he is moving out of his mother's house. How can he afford the rent is still a mystery to me. He didn't have a college degree in China, and I guess he didn't speak much English. Don't know what he is doing or planning now. Life in US is not easy for a young immigrant like him (although he is ahead of me in terms of green card. He has it because of his mum). He has no previous work experience (he has been a salesman for a while in China, but he wasn't working very hard I heard). Guess the only start place is the Chinatown. Well, I was in CA before, and I don't like the Chinatown that much. Working in Chinatown is not a way of life. He needs to get out of there, and the only way to do it is through getting some education, and that, has been a challenge for him. He is not a bad person, and he can work hard too, but he needs proper guidance, which is something I did a little when I was in China, but not any more since I left there. Well, guess I need to pick up from where I left...

Smashed a vanity base when I was moving it in the basement. Good job.

Need to find the rack I need for the kitchen. We just have too much stuff there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home