Thursday, September 20, 2007

Beethoven In Trance - Episode 33

Went to a funeral today.

We met this person at a friend's party. He and his wife both worked in the company we worked in, only we worked in a different department and building. They seem to be nice people and last time they tried to help my brother in law to find a job in our company. It didn't work out, but at least they tried.

He got cancer and passed away early this week.

We decided to attend viewing session of his funeral. I put on a navy T-shirt to work this morning and thought it might be ok for the event. I asked a colleague and was told I need long sleeve shirt. So I left early from work and got home to change shirt. I put on a dark navy long sleeve shirt and off I went.

As I entered the room I realized how I was underdressed. Everyone is in suit and tie. Boy, was I embarrassed. We waited a while and went up to the family, all I could say is 'my condolences'. The family said 'thank you for coming' and I just didn't know how to reply. I acted like a dummy there. After my wifed chatted a little with the family, we went to the coffin. He was lying there. He lost much weight, and I could hardly recognize him. I paused over there, didn't know what to do. I nodded slightly to him, then froze with no motion. I was trying to come up with some words, but I lost them. I eventually murmured 'see you in heaven'. 'See you in heaven'? what does that mean? Where did that come from. I guess what I really wanted to say is 'George, I wish you find peace and love in God's kingdom.'

We left the event right after that. That was almost inappropriate, as many Chinese who worked in the same company were sitting in the room. We were like 'dropping by' for the event, and I think the family won't appreciate that. But I just don't know what to do or say if I stay in that room. I don't know whether I was trying to run away from something or I just can't stand viewing the sight.

I wish the family well, I did tell them if there is anything we can do, please let us know, but I suspect they think we were just talking the talk. But we were not.

God, please bless his family who has been suffering tremendously from the illness and the lost of the family member. Please show us what we can do to help them. Please include our friend's sister who has been also battling with illness in Kentucky in your blessing too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home